What is Teamwork & Team Building
l Concept of people working together as a team
l A team player is someone who is able to get along with their
Colleagues and work together in a cohesive group
l Process of establishing and developing a greater sense of collaboration and trust between
Why Should We Be a Team?
l When staff use their skills and knowledge together, the result is a stronger agency that can fulfill
“To provide accurate information that would assist individuals in achieving a better quality of
l People working together can sustain the enthusiasm and lend support needed to complete the
work of each program.
q defines the problem
q agrees on goals and formulates strategies for tackling the tasks
q determines the challenges and identifies information needed
q Individuals take on certain roles
q develops trust and communication
l Do we have common goals and objectives?
l Do we agree on roles and responsibilities?
l Do our task, communication, and decision systems work?
l Do we have adequate interpersonal skills?
Giving Constructive Feedback
l Be descriptive
l Don't use labels
l Don’t exaggerate
l Don’t be judgmental
l Speak for yourself
l What should you consider in designing team building?
• History, norms, culture
• Context of current request
• Why now (not 6 months earlier/later?)
• What happens if TB is not done?
• What do you want to be different?
• What’s prevented this from happening until now?
• How do you structure your behavior?
Judging (structure)-Perceiving (change)
• Make plans and follow them
• Things settled and finished
• Decide too quickly
• Dislike changing priorities
• Not notice new things
• Just the essentials
• Satisfied with decision
• Adapt to changing situations
• Leave things open
• Open-ended decisions
• Too many unfinished projects
• Postpone unpleasant jobs
• Want to know everything
• Curious and open to ideas